Extensive research in USA has demonstrated that turf and lawn areas can:
- Reduce surface temperatures by up to 10 degrees C compared to bare soil and up to 30 degrees celsius compared with synthetic surfaces.
- The average front lawn of 8 houses has the same cooling effect as 20 domestic air-conditioners.
- Playing fields with a dense turf coverage are safer than paving or synthetic surfaces.
- A healthy lawn absorbs rainfall 6x more effectively than garden areas thus contributing to groundwater recharge.
- A turf are of 15m x 15m absorbs carbon dioxide, hydrogen fluoride and perosyacetyle nitrate and releases enough oxygen to meet the needs of a family of 4.
- Turf-grasses help purify water entering underground aquifers by its roots mass and soil microbes acting as a filter to capture and break down many pollutants.
There was limited research in Australia up until the UWA commenced ground breaking research into water use on turf. This research has attracted national and international interest and is a credit to W.A. and a testimony to the pioneering spirit of WA in leading the way in Australia.